HomeAwardsChallengesTutorialsContact

Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Vintage Christmas

Hello Everyone.  I dearly hope you are All happy and healthy and keeping free from the cold.  Really quite a dark day here and the lights have been on all day.   I got a lovely surprise this morning when my friend Jan phoned to ask if I fancied going out.  I was thrilled to bits to hear her voice saying those words.  As most of you know, she has been through high doses of chemotherapy and since the final one, she has been so very tired.  Girl Power indeed.
To-day's offering is a gift for my younger daughter Carolyn.  She is doing her first Craft Fair on the 7th December, so this was what I made for a centre-piece of her stand. . She can also use it for her Christmas table afterwards.
I had great fun creating this piece.  My dear friend Astrid had done one, and gave me guidelines on folding the pages.  I have a load of very aged books and that is how this project began.
Once I had distressed the pages I matted some some lovely card to the back and front covers and using Vintage Photo, I distressed everything again and edged it with a Krylon pen.  Now the fun part. I used Sizzix Lampost to start with and of course I had to rust it.  Then I realized  I need the red velvet ribbon to hold the book at the angle I wanted it to be.  The Numbers and Noel were also TimHoltz sizzix dies and now I could see where this was taking me.  So Christmas trees and lots of reindeers had to be given a place too.  Can you spot Rudolph ??     The front of my creation was Pine cones, leaves and berries with a gold safety candle in place to give the effect of a bright time of year, especially for children.   I hope you like my Christmas Project.   Thanks for your lovely comments.   Hugs Rita xxxx

.
I'm entering it in to the following Challenges
SimonSays Wednesday challenge :  Anything Goes
Craft Room Challenge  : Vintage Christmas
Country View Challenges. : Letters





41 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, this is gorgeous. Have a great day out with your friend, and enjoy the time together! Hugs, Valerie

cuilliesocks said...

WOW!! how fabulous is this, I love your vintage scene Rita. Such a clever wonderful design with all of those dies and great colours.
I hope you had a lovely day with your friend and that she is keeping well, hugs Kate x

Maryanne said...

Oh, my gosh, Rita, this is so beautiful! I just love what you did with this old book. Your daughter will love it!

Wendy L said...

This is an amazing creation Rita, love it.
The blanket I made for Noah is just a crochet square going round and round until it is the size you want. I cant really follow a pattern very well so I find this way quite easy. xxxx

Patricia said...

Oh! My! Word! Rita this is way beyond stunning, wonderful, beautiful..........!!!
What a fantastic creation, if that does not draw them to the table nothing will.
Really pleased Jan is feeling up to getting out. . It often takes a few days to get over the dose of Chemo. Hope you had a good day out and enjoyed a chat and a laugh.
Hugs

Patricia xxx

Doreen said...

Wow what a stunning creation,love this.xxx

Words and Pictures said...

Stunning, Rita - this is a real showstopper - it will certainly turn heads at the Craft Fair, and will look wonderful on the Christmas table too. So happy to hear about your friend Jan - hope you had a great time together!
Alison xx

Diane said...

Fabulous Rita, what a stunning centerpiece, love the distressed the pages. You certainly have inspired me to try this technique.

Hugs diane

pearshapedcrafting said...

Can I find just one word to describe this - so many going around in my head? It's taken my breath away - I can see this coming out year after year! Good Luck to your daughter on the 7th! Chrisx

Gerrina said...

Wow, what a stunning piece! And what a lot of time will it have taking to foild all those pages and made the scenery! Think they will stay a while at your daughters stand at the fair! Greetings, Gerrina

Annie said...

I am lucky to have seen this first hand and I have to say it's stunning.....and yes I can spot Rudolph

Hugs Annie x

Zoechaos said...

WOW this is breathtaking love it, lucky daughter to have you for Mum. Hope you had a wonderful time with your friend and that she is doing well. Thank you for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge, guess we might have Annie to thank that you have. XOXO Zoe

May said...

O my word Rita... Fantastic creation...WOW, WOW, WOW....the scene is amazing, Love Rudolph too (I see him.....) So glad your friend was up to going out I hope you both had a super day.... Hugs May x x x

Anonymous said...

Talk about standing out from the crowd, Rita this is incredible and will be the talk of the town when it is on display. It is a sensational piece and all the more special for the fact you created it for your daughter.
How lovely your friend was feeling reasonably well enough to spend some time with you, I have no doubt it did her the world of good to spend time in your company - what a courageous woman she must be and your friendship will mean the world to how now more than ever before.
Wishes
Lynne

Astrid Maclean said...

Hi Rita
First of all that is great news about your friend Jan, I hope you had a great day out together!
Now to this make, - love, love, love it!!! It looks absolutely fantastic and is going to be a show stopper at the fair next week for sure! And I bet Caroline is going to love it for her own Christmas décor too. You have completely inspired me now to have another go at one myself again. I had planned to do one for Christmas, but then kind of forgot it again, but you have just totally inspired me, this is just stunning!! (and yes I can spy Rudolph....)

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wow Rita, this is absolutely fabulous I like everything about it!!!!
Kevin xx

rachel said...

this looks absolutely brilliant Rita - fabulous work! And so very clever. Hope you have had a great day out with your friend and that your daughter's craft fair goes well xx

Brenda Brown said...

This is just wonderful Rita, I really love what you have done with the book and all the festive imagery you have used. It will be the star attraction I am sure for Carolyn's fair and for her \Christmas table of sideboard.Oooh I hope I can find the time to make one too.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Glenda said...

Rita, this is so creative! How wonderful and I love the idea! Very stunning piece!

MaryH said...

Gosh, I think every time I visit here, I end up speechless with wonder! This time is no exception! First, I'm so happy you got to enjoy an outing with your good friend. I expect it did her a world of good too, being able to get out for some craft fun & I'm thankful she is feeling well enough to do such. This is a hard time to get through this type of thing. Seems like it touches all of us. Prayers that your friend continues to improve & gain strength. Now, this delicious loveliness that you are sharing is bound to bring in lots of folks to your DD's craft booth...it is an attention getter for sure. I can see that lots of thought & work went into this; you have so many delightful elements to this piece...and that vintage rusted lamp post...oh my. Clever, beautiful and so very unique too! TFS & glad if you enjoyed the post. With no card to share, I was just ramblin' on about how we spent the day. Good to be with the 2 I love best in the world. I'm truly thankful for that and that we were given the time to share it together. No greater blessing - but I've also been blessed with so many blog friends too. An unexpected thing to have happened - but one I'm truly loving and enjoying. Many hugs and TFS.

Stamping With Bibiana said...

I am speechless!!! what to say in front of this marvel!!! there are no words...I WANT to MAKE it!!! OMG thanks for the inspiration!!!! hopefully i have time to make one of these.
this is a very Special xmas gift that you are offering to us!!!
thanks bibiana

Stamps and Paper said...

Absolutely fabulous Rita and such a brilliant projects....I really would like to have a go at one of these...I''ve done Angels and Christmas trees not nothing like this...

Anne

Debbie Rock said...

I absolutely LOVE this Rita ... it is a fabulous piece of work and I wish I had time to have a go for this Christmas ... will be sure to put it on my To Do list for next year! Glad your friend felt able to get out and about ... I imagine her call was a delight to receive. Very best wishes to you. Love Debbie #56 xXx

Selma said...

Wow Rita. What a gorgeous centerpiece. You are so amazing. I always love to come see what creative project you have designed.

Paper Profusion said...

Aboslutely superb Rita! It looks truly wonderful and will definitely receive lots of compliments from all your guests. I love your selection of die cuts. Nicola x

KraftyKoolKat said...

Wow Rita, this is awesome. Gob-smacking gorgeous. What a fantastic creation sweetie. I hope you had a good time out with your friend and she didn't get too tired.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Jenny L said...

Hi Rita,
to think I nearly missed the gem of a creation. Love this superbly created idea. Great every time you look at it you see something you have missed before.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Gibmiss said...

Hi Rita
Fabulous .... Stunning .... I dont think i could tackle it.... Well done...,
Hugs Sylvie xx

Redanne said...

Such good news about your friend Jan. I am always in awe of my friend Margie who does books like this and now I am in total awe of yours! What a stunning centrepiece this will make at the craft fair for Carolyn and will be a real draw to customers. Yes, I can spot rudolph..... such a gorgeous creation Rita. Hugs, Anne x

Hazel said...

Rita this is stunning, everyone will be at Carolyn's table just to see this wonderful creation. I am so glad to hear Jan is feeling up to going out, it will make all the difference to her a couple of hours I good company is the best medicine. Hazel xxx

Lorraine A said...

THUDUNK !!!! WOW !! this is absolutely STUNNING !! I WANT ONE ! :-) Oh I am definitely going to have a go at making one of these ! I will need to go shopping first tho to get the supplies ,,,, tree, reindeer ,,, oohh what FUN ! :-) TFS :-)

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
luv
Lols x x x

Mervi said...

Thank you Rita for sharing this stunning creation, it's a eye catcher,
at Craft-Room Challenge, welcome again,
lots of crafty hugs;-))m

Jenny Marples said...

What a superb project Rita! This will make the most stunning centrepiece. Good luck to Carolyn on December 7th. I hope it's a roaring success. Jenny x

Leanne ... said...

Wow Rita! What a real show stopper. You did an excellent job. Such a creative job.
Hugs...Leanne

kay said...

Totally stunning,love it x

Brenda Brown said...

Hi Rita. Just popping back to say thanks for sharing your beautiful work with Country View Challenges.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Karen Letchworth said...

Hi Rita! Well, I came by to see this GORGEOUS project and get a closer look (it's SO pretty). But when I read on your sidebar that you've been married for 55 years, it delighted my heart! What a joy to see a beautiful marriage for so many years; especially in this day and age. I've been married for 29 years, and I know the commitment it takes. So I really admire and appreciate your commitment and your marriage. It gives me such joy to think about the years we have to look forward to. Our children are growing and will soon be on their own and then...just the two of us again. You really encouraged me, so thanks for sharing that bit of information about yourself.
I also came by to invite you to play along in the challenges at my challenge blog, Word Art Wednesday. Our challenges are always Anything Goes (as long as they're family friendly), so I really hope that you will share your beautiful projects with us. We offer at least two nice prizes each week (and we have some really awesome sponsors - they're different each week). Thanks again for sharing your art and bits about your life - it really did touch my heart and bless me!
Have a great week,
Karen
www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

Carol said...

Wow Rita this is fabulous...it will look fabulous on Carolyn's stall and be a real talking point. Carol x

John Lockwood said...

Absolutely stunning Rita. I LOVE this.

John xxx

hazel said...

This is amazing - I love it. Thank you for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge.
xxx Hazel.

Margik said...

I have seen that you have done to challenge, what a stunning piece, love it!
Greetings
Mar