HomeAwardsChallengesTutorialsContact

Thursday, 14 June 2012

Recycled Box for Stamp Storage

Hello Folks,  I have been saving up these strong cat food boxes for such a while now and my daughter  Annie said they would be good for holding your stamps. And so the seed was planted, I thought I could have my stamps in sets and it would make it easier for me to see what I had.  I did not want to use my lovely papers ,so came up with the idea of using a roll of brown parcel paper and covered the whole box, then I distressed the sides of the box with walnut stain DI, and stamped some images on to the front,added some bits and pieces and  a list of what stamps were in the box, hopefully as I acquire more stamps the list will alter. I am very pleased with how it turned out.  Now I'm on to my second box although I am doing other things inbetween.  I hope you enjoy visiting my blog.  Enjoy your day.  Hugs Rita xxx

 Entered in to the following Challenge:

This was the box before recycling

29 comments:

Doreen said...

A fabulous altered box Rita.xxx

Marie-Louise said...

Fantastic idea and now a great looking storage box.

Stamps and Paper said...

What a fab idea Rita...and what a lovely box it is

Anne

Redanne said...

Hi Rita, I absolutely love what you have done with the box, it is fantastic! Love the way you have stamped the front and labelled it to, it must be a dream finding your stamps now, oh that I was so organised........Crafty hugs, Anne x

rachel said...

ooh this is fab - I must throw one of these away at least once a month - so now I know what to do with it! Thanks Rita!!! why not enter it into altered elusions this time? Hugs rachel xx

Shahrul Niza said...

Impressive ideas, Rita!. I like to try this with sturdy shoe boxes, hope they work too. TFS. Hugs.

Shoshi said...

Oooh Rita, I LOVE this. I must do something along similar lines, because my stamps are all in bags and such a muddle and I can never find anything! I don't want to separate them from their wrappers because it's nice to be able to identify where they came from. This is such a cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

Shoshi

Aquarius said...

A great bit of recycling with this and a wonderful idea. I always thought these boxes were too strong to just throw away and did use the occasional one. Sadly I don't have a cat now so no boxes but I'm sure there are other ones out there which would work - I'm thinking possibly some of the ones which washing powders come in (as long as they don;t smell too strongly).

Unknown said...

Hi Rita,

What a Great idea, I'm always loosing stamps, this is Fab, good Idea to use the brown paper....

Thanks for sharing it with us at Altered Elusions& Artitude, good luck ..xxx

Jacqui's little piece of England said...

What a great idea you can never have enough storage.

jacqui x

Anonymous said...

Hello Rita
This is such a brilliant idea - I am a huge fan of re-cycling and up-cycling.
A fabulous piece of arty storage you have created.
Wishes
Lynne

Darlene said...

WOW! What a fabulous idea Rita and it turned out GREAT! I LOVE your design choice ... good thinking! And, creating a tag of contents for the front was BRILLIANT! Well done my friend ... you're such a clever gal! Thanks for sharing this wonderful altering idea!!
(Be sure to pop over tomorrow when I will share the altered clock that my friend & I challenged each other to do ... such fun!)
Hugs and Happy Day!

May said...

Wow Rita... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.. What a fabulous idea.. great stamps you've used and those cogs finish it off just perfect..Brillant!! Hugs May x x x

Deb Neerman said...

WoW, very cool storage ... and what an amazing transformation! FABulous!

Jenny Marples said...

Genius Rita. Love brown paper and the best of times but you have taken it to an all time high. I'm off to find suitable boxes. Hugs, Buttons x

Netty said...

Fabulous idea and a fab box, Annette x

Lucy said...

What a terrific idea, Rita! I don't have a cat, but washing machine tablet boxes might work well!

Lucy x

Rita said...

I think they would Lucy. I'm now on to my 3rd box, but not decorated the 2nd one yet. Hugs Rita xx

Joan said...

Fab box Rita, great storage idea ( my cats don't have such posh cat food but the whiskers boxes are pretty strong too !)

Joan

Candy C said...

Don't you just love it when an art project also has a great purpose? I love your recycled box that has found new life as a storage box for your stamps! I like your Steampunk design and the way you've labeled your box! Nice job! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Unknown said...

Fantastic idea !!! absolutely brilliant ! so glad i've got three cats :o)) .... Thank You for joining us at Altered Elusions & Artitude :O)) xxx

Sarah said...

This is an amazing idea! I could do the same with my Felix boxes. Very inspirational!

Sarah x

Marjie Kemper said...

Love it! What a smile this must bring to you each time you ponder your stamp choices. Extra points for recycling, too.

Claire said...

love what you've done with the box!! i've been catching up slowly and enjoying what folk have posted since wednesday :)
thanks for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment!

Anonymous said...

Wow, just love this box, and what you have done with it. Thank you for joining us with our first challenge at Altered Elusions this fortnight. Abbie (Co Owner) xx

Mrs O crafty blog said...

What a fab idea, pauline x

Jaqi said...

Excellent alteration, looks like a fab storage box now, thanks for sharing the idea

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Wow! What a stunning project thank you for joining in with Altered Elusions.
Lindsay xx
P.S. this would also fit perfectly in to the recycling challenge over at http://lejdesignschallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk/ this week too xx

Words and Pictures said...

This is a brilliant piece of design, and of recycling. Am very inspired to go and make myself some storage boxes... thank you!